    RE: No decimal bitstrings

    Kindly leave calling of "rough consensus" to the co-chairs.

    What I think I've seen so far is that decimal does not work
    and needs to be forbidden for *variable length* binary bit
    strings whose length cannot be determined by means other
    than looking at the value.  SRP_s is an example, as the
    length of a password "salt" may vary based on implementation,
    but if different length bit strings are used by the initiator
    and target, the SRP authentication will almost certainly fail
    (Paul Koning was right about this one).

    OTOH, decimal seems to work fine for fixed length binary
    items where the fixed length is known such as the components
    of an IP address (each component is known to be 8 bits a priori,
    hence 0x1 and 0x01 represent the same component), or an iSCSI
    Target Portal Group Tag (known to be 16 bits a priori, hence
    0x1, 0x01, 0x001, and 0x0001 are all the same tag).

    <SOAPBOX>
    Can we also stop using the word "vote"?  If I see 7 people in
    favor of one position, one person in favor of a different one,
    and the latter one person has technical correctness on his/her
    side, that one person's position will carry the day independent
    of how many people are involved.  IETF is about doing the
    proverbial "right thing", which is not necessarily the most
    popular thing (just wait until you see my WG last call comments
    on iSCSI ...).
    </SOAPBOX>

    +1 (508) 249-6449            FAX: +1 (508) 497-8018

Last updated: Sat Jul 06 23:18:43 2002
11148 messages in chronological order