    RE: iSCSI: Login negotiation space

    Pat,

    I had trouble understanding the "basics" underneath your claim that 16k is excessive.
    If you are concerned about many sessions having to provide this space - the targets supporting many sessions
     must anyhow have many resources to do so (i.e., they are high end devices) .

    The vast majority of those will go for the TCP window. the little that has to go for session management will either be in some host space or will be shared with other buffers for the session.

    As for throttling - if you have the 16k from the outset of a ngegtotiation I do not see how your real dealock can occur.

    I am not sure that this thread is expresses a decent level of maturity but if 16k is really of concern I suggest we get it down to one PDU i.e., 8k and conclude the thread before time runs out.

    And only to add a grain of salt to all this the 16 was not arbitrarily chosen. It is based on a very simple traffic model and on the assumption that a socket consumes around 6k in idle state.

    Julo

    pat_thaler@agilent.com

    07/03/2002 09:09 PM
    Please respond to pat_thaler