    -----Original Message-----
    From: Michael Krueger [mailto:michael.krueger@windriver.com]
    Sent: Thursday, April 25, 2002 2:42 PM
    To: THALER,PAT (A-Roseville,ex1); Julian Satran
    Actually, I'm concerned neither with storage space nor with speed, but
    rather with code complexity.  Unlike hexadecimal and base-64 encoding, there
    is not a simple correspondence between decimal digits in the string
    representation and bit locations in the binary item.  Most implementation of
    decimal-to-binary conversion functions like strtoul() do integer arithmetic
    to obtain the binary representation, but this isn't feasible for binary
    items larger than 4 (or, at an absolute maximum, 8) bytes.  Show me a simple
    algorithm or a widely available library function for converting a
    2,467-digit string to its 1024-byte binary representation, and I'll use it;
    otherwise, support for decimal encoding of large binary items seems like a
    needless complication that pays back very little added value.

    Michael

    --
    Michael J. Krueger              mailto:michael.krueger@windriver.com
    Wind River Networks                         http://www.windriver.com