    RE: iFCP: Response to technical comments from Mallikarjun Chadalapaka

    Hi Mallikarjun:

    Re Comment 110:

    > I agree with the rest of the resolution, but my reading of
    > FC-FS (clause
    > 15.3.3.3 of rev1.70) is that a PLOGI collision results in an LS_RJT
    > to one party.  My original comment was to suggest that iFCP
    > specify the
    > LS_RJT reason code, since the PLOGI is being turned back from the
    > iFCP gateway (or is PLOGI expected to be held off until the
    > colliding PLOGI
    > is completely taken care of?) as I read it.  Please comment.

    Your surmise is correct, the PLOGI is deferred to be sent when the iFCP
    session is created.

    The scenario is that once the tie-breakling mechanism is invoked and the
    iFCP session is established, the PLOGIs from each side are sent and
    processed by the N_PORTs in accordance with the PLOGI sematics specified in
    FC-FS.

    I will revise the text to make this clearer.

    See other responses below.

    Point taken.

    I'll give this another try.

    > >              The considerations to be addressed when
    > connecting multiple
    > >              iFCP portals to a gateway region are discussed
    > in Comment 12.
    >
    > I am not sure the resolution for comment 12 is quite
    > applicable here.  My question
    > is the legality (or lack thereof) of two iFCP portals in
    > *one* iFCP gateway - essentially
    > multiple portals into the IP network from one gateway box.

    The gateway entity is defined as having one and only one iFCP portal.
    Externally, the configuration you describe would behave as two gateways
    enclosed in one piece of sheet metal.

    > >Comment 104. [E] Section 4.6.1, pp 25, para 4
    > >"In its role as principal switch within the gateway region, an
    > >iFCP..."
    > >General comment - Change to "...as the Principal Switch...".
    > >Rejected
    >
    > This is a nit, but am curious about the rejection.  IIRC, the
    > uppercase in "Principal
    > Switch" is what's used by FC-SW documents....

    Comment accepted.  I will revise to be consistent with T11 usage.

    > >           Comment 108.       [T] Section 5.2.2.1.1, pp 31, para 1
    > >

    > >              The text will be reworded as shown below to
    > add the state
    > >              change case and clarify the order of events
    > leading to a stale
    > >              descriptor.
    > >
    > >              "A Remote N_PORT descriptor SHALL only be
    > updated as the result
    > >              of an iSNS query to obtain information for the
    > specified
    >
    > I agree with the resolution, but still have an editorial
    > suggestion for some of the similar
    > proposed text changes.  In the request-response model,
    > "query" corresponds to a "request"
    > in my mind.  So, I expect only a "response" to update
    > descriptors, not the query.

    Rhetorically, the query response is the "result of the query".

    Comment accepted.

    Charles

Last updated: Wed Apr 24 19:18:23 2002
9774 messages in chronological order