    Re: FCIP Last Call comment 46 - TCP connection establishment

    David,

    I can accept adding the following sentence if you can:

      "For example, the FCIP Entity might wait 60 seconds before
      trying to re-establish the connection."

    Thanks.

    .Ralph

    Black_David@emc.com wrote:

    > Ok, I agree that specifying a requirement for how this MUST be done
    > overconstrains the solution space, but I would like to see an example
    > provided of how this could be done (without requiring that all
    > implementers to do it that way) so that an implementer has some idea
    > of what's needed to get this right.  For example, a 60 second wait
    > before trying to re-establish the connection might be sufficient.
    >
    > --David
    >
    > Comment 46 Technical
    >
    >    -- Section 9.1.2.1 - Non-Dynamic Creation of New TCP Connections
    >
    >       If the TCP connect request is rejected, the FCIP Entity SHALL act
    >       to limit unnecessary repetition of attempts to establish similar
    >       connections.
    >
    >    [T] That's a little vague. How about specifying a minimum time
    >    period that MUST elapse before retry?
    >
    >    Rejected
    >
    >    The purpose of the statement is to recommend against denial
    >    of service to other TCP clients as the result of over jealous
    >    attempts to retry rejected TCP connect request by FCIP Entities.
    >
    >    In the absence of an explanation of how interoperability is affected,
    >    it not possible to devise a requirement that is both specific and
    >    practical for implementations.

    > David L. Black, Senior Technologist
    > EMC Corporation, 42 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
    > +1 (508) 249-6449 *NEW*      FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500
    > black_david@emc.com         Cell: +1 (978) 394-7754

Last updated: Mon Apr 22 09:18:36 2002
9741 messages in chronological order