    RE: iSCSI draft 12 'or Reserved' fields

    //My bad.  I meant Status instead of Response
    //I guess what the draft is saying is that these fields are never reserved
    because they could contain anything
    //if not valid.  Validity has to be checked before any guess is made on the
    field's contents.
    //Is this a correct interpretation of the draft's intention?

    9.4.2  Status

         The Status field is used to report the SCSI status of the command (as
         specified in [SAM2]) and is valid only if the Response Code is Command
         Completed at target.

    //Bidirectional count
    //I guess I do not see much difference between this:
    9.4.5  Bidirectional Read Residual Count

         The Bidirectional Read Residual Count field is only valid in the case
         where either the u bit or the o bit is set. If neither bit is set, the
         Bidirectional Read Residual Count field SHOULD be zero.

    9.4.7  ExpDataSN

         The number of Data-In (read) PDUs the target has sent for the command.

         This field is reserved if the response code is not Command Completed
         at Target or the command is a write command.
    //And this(, except for the SHOULD vs. MUST)
    9. iSCSI PDU Formats

         All multi-byte integers that are specified in formats defined in this
         document are to be represented in network byte order (i.e., big
         endian).  Any field that appears in this document assumes that the
         most significant byte is the lowest numbered byte and the most signif-
         icant bit (within byte or field) is the lowest numbered bit unless
         specified otherwise.

         Any compliant sender MUST set all bits not defined and all reserved
         fields to zero unless specified otherwise.  Any compliant receiver
         MUST ignore any bit not defined and all reserved fields unless speci-
         fied otherwise.

         Reserved fields are marked by the word "reserved", some abbreviation
         of "reserved" or by "." for individual bits when no other form of
         marking is technically feasible.

Last updated: Mon Apr 22 09:18:36 2002
9741 messages in chronological order