    RE: iSCSI - Basic Question

    Joel,

    I think Chhavi's question is when there is a header digest error, how does
    the receiver know how much to discard and where in the stream to get the
    header of the next PDU.

    Possible answers:

    1) When a header digest error is received, stop receiving and close the
    connection if FIM is not on. (Not a very desireable alternative.)

    2) When a header digest error is received, assume the length may be okay
    anyway and treat the information at that location as a header. If it passes
    all header checks then continue processing for that connection. If it fails:

      2a) Stop receiving and close the connection if FIM is not on.
      2b) Start examining the stream for a set of bytes that passes the header
    checks. (There is a possibility that one will get a false detection -
    something in the data payload that happens to look like a header.)

    3) If FIM is enabled, then the markers can be used to find a header and
    continue processing.

    I think that for a data stream without markers, 2a represents a reasonable
    balance between the minimizing risk of false header detection and speeding
    recovery from minor errors.

    Pat