    From: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu [mailto:owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu] On Behalf Of
    Michael J. S. Smith (RoadRunner)
    Sent: Saturday, April 13, 2002 4:50 PM
    To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Cc: msmith@iready.com
    Subject: Re: iSCSI - started countdown to 12 (11-95)

    Julo: This is a really silly one, but I accidentally found a
    typographical error while reading 11-95, section 7.3.1:

    An iSCSI compliant initiator or target MUST provide data integrity and
    authentication by implementing IPsec [RFC2401] with ESP in tunnel mode
    [RFC2406] and MAY provide data provide data integrity and authen-
    tication by implementing IPsec with ESP in transport mode. The IPsec
    implementation MUST fulfill the following iSCSI specific require- ments:

    "provide data provide data" -> "provide data"

    I wouldn't normally waste bandwidth on this, but there's an interesting
    discussion going on over in the SNIA snia-ips forum on iSCSI IPsec APIs
    (which does not belong here) and while digging around 11-95 I noticed
    the above. Anyway, during the discussion, while Bernard was pointing out
    some of the wording in the ips-security draft, it occured to me that I
    needed to ask David (and Julo and Bernard, I guess) the following
    procedural question:

    David, Julo, and Bernard: do we, and if so, how do we ensure that the
    iSCSI Internet draft and ips-security drafts are true to each other?

    The ambiguity in using the phrase "true to each other" was deliberate,
    how do these things normally work, David? Does the ips-security draft
    lapse or does it become informational or do we just keep leapfrogging or
    what (I did read RFC1796 and RFC2026)? As a small concrete example, how
    do we cover the things going on in AES counter mode in saag and the OCB
    and CCM work in 802.11 TGi? Do we expect to update the iscsi draft, the
    ips-security draft, or both, or neither?

    Aloha
    Mike Smith
    CTO, iReady
    (I'm currently in Hawaii, ignore my email address, reply to
    msmith@iready.com)
    Encoding: Western European (ISO), apologies for those expecting plain
    ASCII.