    RE: DH-CHAP

    > POST to IP Storage working group
    > ----------------------------------
    > Just had a look at DH-CHAP protocol.
    > Assume the following is the correct formulation of DH-CHAP.
    > Then I suspect it is not secure against active off-line dictionary
    > attacks.

    That is correct.  DH-CHAP is not secure against active attacks, and
    is not intended to be secure against active attacks, just passive
    ones.  Section 1 of the DH-CHAP draft says:

        DH-CHAP strengths CHAP in a fashion that
        requires an attacker to perform an online attack (which will
        generally lead to an authentication failure) in order to capture
        the information required to mount an off-line dictionary attack on
        each CHAP secret.

    The "(which will generally lead to an authentication failure)" text
    is incorrect and will be removed in the -01 version of the draft,
    as an impersonation attack against one-way authentication will not
    generally lead to an authentication failure.

    The impersonation attack that Yongge Wang describes is noted in Section
    6.3 of the DH-CHAP draft which says that both CHAP and DH-CHAP Initiators
    are vulnerable to both impersonation and man-in-the-middle attacks.

    [... details of impersonation attack snipped ...]

    > If you have any interest in revising DH-CHAP to get a secure version,
    > I may spend some time to help you on this matter...

    Thanks, but resistance to this sort of active attack is not a design
    goal of DH-CHAP.  I would have hoped this was clear from the first
    paragraph of Section 1, but I could add a sentence to make this
    explicit if that would improve the clarity of the draft.

    +1 (508) 249-6449 *NEW*      FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500
    black_david@emc.com         Cell: +1 (978) 394-7754

Last updated: Fri Apr 12 12:18:20 2002
9631 messages in chronological order