    RE: IPSEC target and transport mode

    David,

    > What I've heard is a desire to use existing gateway implementations of
    > IPsec that don't support tunnel mode well or at all due to:
                               ^^^^^

    Did you mean to say transport?
    Again, I believe thats the case - but I don't believe thats
    sufficient reason to override 2401.

    > The WG contains both communities and "rough consensus" needs to span them.

    Agreed.  The concensus in the IPSec WG is MUST/MUST.  2401
    says so.  We had a unanimous vote in HB for the same thing.  We
    did not have that in Minn.

    > I take strong exception to the argument that only IPsec transport
    > mode can deliver end-to-end security;

    Agreed.  I never said it was not possible - I only alluded to
    our preference to achieving the host/host scenerio using
    Transport mode.

    There's no reason that I know of to lock out Transport mode.
    2401 does not require gateways to use/implement it.

    Give transport mode a chance.  I'm hearing that we have allowed
    2 weeks for draft completion of  CHAP+DH.  I'm assuming there
    will be a vote.  Let's take a vote on MUST/MUST as well.  Then,
    let's get on with last call.

    Thanks,
    Todd.