    RE: iSCSI: items discussed at WG meeting

    • To: <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    • Subject: RE: iSCSI: items discussed at WG meeting
    • From: "Elliott, Robert" <Robert.Elliott@compaq.com>
    • Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 18:46:37 -0600
    • content-class: urn:content-classes:message
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    I agree this bit fits better there, but to date there is no such
    bit in the Control mode page and no proposals on the T10 CAP
    agenda to add one.

    In the only protocol supporting this feature (FCP-2), the bit is
    in the Protocol-Specific Logical Unit Control mode page.  If a
    bit is added to the Control mode page for iSCSI and future
    protocols, it makes FCP-2 targets non-compliant. I'm not sure
    that there are any implementations of CRN yet that would care.

    > As far as iscsi is concerned, both the iscsi initiator and target
    > implementations MUST support CRN, since it is defined in iscsi
    > command pdu.
    >
    > Why is such a method required at the SCSI LLP layer ?

    iSCSI defers too much to SAM-2:
    "9.3.2 CRN
     SCSI command reference number - if present in the SCSI
     execute command arguments (according to [SAM2])."

    To depend on the CRN in its Execute Command() remote
    procedure call, an application needs to know:
    a) the initiator port supports sending CRN;
    b) if there are any protocol bridges/gateways in the service
    delivery subsystem, all the protocols between the initiator
    port and target port support CRN;
    c) the target port supports CRN; and
    d) the logical unit supports and honors CRN.

    Presumably the initiator's API will reject the RPC
    if a) is not honored.

    Applications currently detect and set c) and d) with
    the Protocol-Specific Logical Unit Control mode page.
    Moving to the Control mode page would be a change
    but is certainly possible.  iSCSI needs to provide
    this information/control somehow.

    For b), bridges need to be able to report that CRN is not
    available over iSCSI because they're bridging to a protocol
    that doesn't support it.

    A text key would work pretty well, but this capability
    is logical unit based, not target-based.  This leaves
    intercepting mode page accesses and modifying the mode
    page data.

    ---
    Rob Elliott, Compaq Server Storage
    Robert.Elliott@compaq.com