    From: Santosh Rao [mailto:santoshr@cup.hp.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 12:08 PM
    To: IPS Reflector
    Subject: Re: iSCSI: key negotiation - Unrecognized value?

    Hello,

    It seems like there are several possible responses on seeing a numeric
    key being offered with a non-numeric key value. (ex :
    "MaxBurstSize=yes", or "MaxConnections=yes").

    1) Target ignores the received key, without affecting basic function.
    It responds to the key with NotUnderstood.
    Login negotiation outcome is then initiator implementation dependent.
    Most likely, the initiator will terminate the TCP connection and error
    back to the caller indicating that it could not open an iscsi
    connection.

    2) Target may respond with a Reject PDU response indicating a "protocol
    error". No login response is sent in this case (?).

    3) Target responds with a login response pdu indicating a
    status_class_detail of 0x0207 (Missing Parameter).

    4) Target may react to this error as a "format error" and close the TCP
    connection.

    In all the cases, the end result is TCP connection termination. However,
    the response (2) is the least desirable, since no long response is
    generated.

    I believe that (1) coupled with (3) is the most desirable behaviour.

    Regards,
    Santosh

    --
    Santosh Rao