    iSCSI: SRP status

    I received an off-list inquiry on this, and thought I'd
    answer it on list due to general interest.  First, the
    usual disclaimer:

    	I am NOT a lawyer
    	This is NOT legal advice
    	If you need legal advice ...
    		- You need to talk to a lawyer
    	If actions or decisions based on information in this
    		message have legal consequences
    		- Those consequences are YOUR responsibility
    		- The IETF and yours truly disclaim all responsibility

    SRP is currently mandatory to implement, with further discussion of
    whether it is to remain mandatory anticipated in Minneapolis.  AFAIK,
    the only functionally equivalent alternatives also have IPR issues.
    Those alternatives are EKE and SPEKE, which would require licensing
    the Lucent or Phoenix patents respectively.  For SRP, Stanford
    requires a no-cost license and I've been told that Stanford believes
    that no other patent license is necessary.  Whether you believe
    Stanford is between you and your lawyers.  I've been working on
    getting Lucent and Phoenix to say whether they think SRP requires
    licensing their patents.  Lucent previously promised to make such
    a statement about their EKE patents and has now broken that promise.

    +1 (508) 249-6449 *NEW*      FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500
    black_david@emc.com         Cell: +1 (978) 394-7754

Last updated: Mon Mar 25 18:18:18 2002
9293 messages in chronological order