    iSCSI Markers

    I stand corrected on the Name, of TUFs and not iWARP.  The draft that will
    probably go experimental (TUFs) is a framing item that places PDUs at the
    beginning of TCP Segments (hence TCP Mods).  We can not just take TUFs and
    add that to our iSCSI protocol since our charter prevents us from doing
    that.

    I see no relationship to COWS, except both have an 8 byte header.   If you
    have TUFs, you do not need to have Word Stuffing.  The problem with COWS is
    not is header it is the Word Stuffing and the Replacement Pointers.

    You have FIM or COWS, neither one is useful with TUFs, except that they
    have a similar header with COWS, not is hardly a reason to put up with the
    SCANNING and Stuffing of COWS Pointers in the Data.  This is especially
    since depending on the development approach you may find the Pointers
    pointing the wrong way for either sending or receiving in some HW
    pipelining designs.  And it is always a poorer approach then FIM in
    Software.

    I think folks want TUFs but we do not have that option now.  And COWS does
    NOT bring that any closer any quicker.

    .
    .
    .
    John L. Hufferd
    Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
    IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
    Main Office (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
    Home Office (408) 997-6136, Cell: (408) 499-9702
    Internet address: hufferd@us.ibm.com

Last updated: Thu Jan 10 12:18:08 2002
8338 messages in chronological order