    Re: iSCSI: Markers

    > assuming iWARP is not an available option

    What John is referring to as iWarp is actually `TUF' (TCP ULP
    Framing).  iWarp is a putative RDMA on IP transports protocol, which
    is not what we're talking about.

    All the TCP framing proposals we're discussing have:

      1) an in-stream format

    To this, TUF adds:

      2) a TCP sender segmentation behavior

    The in-stream formats so far are:
      o fixed-interval markers (FIM)
      o random key/length headers (TUF's FPDU)
      o COWS header + marker knockout chain

    In addition to Julian's COWS proposal, Costa & I also did one:

      http://www.cs.uchicago.edu/~steph/draft-bailey-tsvwg-cows-00.txt

    It's substantially similar to Julian's, with a couple differences:

      o pointers are only forward
      o payload length is 16-bit length (trivial to make it up to 2^30-1 tho)
      o payload size is byte-granular
      o marker is defined a priori (I like Julian's idea of being able
        to exchange markers if desired---we'd add that)

    Our COWS was defined as an alternative to (replacement of) TUF's
    current in-stream format.  Compelling benefits of the COWS in-stream
    format from our standpoint are:

      o the SAME in-stream format is works with or without TCP sender
        segmentation support
      o no chance of a false positive from key/length validation

    The first point is particularly important.  COWS can be used to
    validate the PDU contaiment property if the TCP sender is
    TUF-compliant, and it can be used for marker-like (better, actually)
    resynchronization if the TCP sender is stock.  Before the COWS
    proposal, we always had two different in-stream representations
    (markers, & key/lengths) for different purposes.

    The primary disadvantage of the COWS in-stream format is:

      o prohibits 0-touch software senders

    I had suggested that if everybody liked COWS, we would update TUF to
    use it, and even if TUF remains experimental, iSCSI could define the
    same in-stream format for its framing (replacing markers).  That way,
    there would really be only ONE in-stream format in the universe,
    though it might be redundantly defined in two places.

    For iSCSI, a single in-stream format that supports both modified and
    stock sender approachs seems nice.  Implementations can easily migrate
    from stock to modified TCP senders (ask one of the authors of the TUF
    draft if you don't understand why modified TCP sender segmentation is
    good).

    For the rest of the world it would be nice (essential in my opinion)
    if the same framing technique could be used for iSCSI and other
    protocols (e.g. iWarp).  System vendors that support iSCSI just might
    want to support NAS too, which could mean DAFS (on iWarp).  Chip
    vendors CERTAINLY want to maximize return from their TOE investment
    which means being able support various accelerated protocols with the
    same hardware.  Wouldn't it be stupid if we had a proliferation of
    framing alternatives just because the world originally seemed flat?

    The tradeoff of 0-touch versus a single format clearly has powerful
    arguments pulling either way.  I'm personally ambivalent.  Mostly, I
    want to make sure everybody in the iSCSI community is sufficiently
    informed about what's at stake.

    Steph

Last updated: Thu Jan 10 02:17:56 2002
8333 messages in chronological order