    Re: iSCSI: Markers

     John> Paul, I did not understand your statement ...

     John> "...It seems to me a node needs at least as much memory in the
     John> other direction -- quite possibly more if it's the storage end,
     John> given that a lot of the traffic is reads.)"

     John> Are you talking about all the memory in the Node or the RAM on
     John> the HBA?  The focus should be on the HBA, and generally, that
     John> memory is small in the outgoing direction.  So perhaps I
     John> misunderstood your point.

    I meant the HBA.  Would you expect TCP level retransmit to fetch the
    data from the host again?  Yes, I guess then you could save the memory
    on the HBA.

     John> About the Mandating of markers.  The proposal was that it
     John> should be required to implement (not required to use) in
     John> outgoing, and clearly it should be optional to use.  In that
     John> manner, the approprate trade offs can be made at execution
     John> time.

    Yes, I know.  I'm objecting to the "required to implement".  It's
    problematic to have a feature that someone else can turn on (by asking
    for it when you're required to say "yes") and which has the side
    effect of destroying your performance.

     John> It seems to be a small impact to the code to just to support
     John> this on the outgoing flow.  I did understand you comments about
     John> how some HW operates, and that needs to be considered in the
     John> executions time trade off.  In most Desktops, laptops, that is
     John> probably not an important issue (with 1.5-2 GHz processors),
     John> but it could be a serious consideration for any servers that
     John> need to have a SW implementation.  (Of course, many folks would
     John> tell the servers to get an HBA, but that is a different issue.)

    I'm talking about embedded systems, where throwing an outboard HBA
    into the picture makes things much bigger and more expensive, not to
    mention slower.  In that example, turning on markers changes the
    transmit flow from a straightforward DMA of the data into a memory to
    memory copy with insertion of the markers every N bytes.  That's a
    large increment in overhead.

          paul

Last updated: Wed Jan 09 02:17:49 2002
8321 messages in chronological order