    RE: IPSEC: IKE preshared keys, ID payload, and DHCP

    > Digging this out from a ways back ...
    > If only the required IKE mode of preshared keys is supported
    > and ID payloads must contain a single IP address
    > (ips-security-06, last paragraph, page 12), how are
    > DHCP-enabled ports handled? When setting up the preshared
    > key, an administrator needs to know the IP address since this
    > is what the ID payload will identify (and what is used to
    > select the preshared key).  But can't the IP address change
    > for a DHCP-enabled port on a power cycle, or lease
    > expiration, etc.? Is there an assumption that only ports with
    > static IP addresses are being used?

    Yes and No in that order.  Sharing the preshared key among the
    set of DHCP-enabled ports is a solution that's often found in
    practice.  Some of the aspects of dealing with DHCP are still
    open issues (e.g., I think another look/check is needed at the
    current restriction on ID payload usage)- with luck there'll
    be more on the mailing list in the near future.

    > In a related vein, will the IPSec DOI definition be updated
    > to include iSCSI names for ID payload types? I think this
    > would remove the problem with DHCP (at least for IKE Aggressive Mode).

    There are no plans to update the DOI - I would expect strong
    resistance from the ipsec WG (with good reason) to every protocol
    that uses IPsec adding its preferred naming types/formats to IPsec.

    +1 (508) 249-6449 *NEW*      FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500
    black_david@emc.com         Cell: +1 (978) 394-7754

Last updated: Wed Jan 02 13:17:46 2002
8247 messages in chronological order