    RE: effect of initializing CRC reg to 1's depends on implementati on? iSCSI

    Luben,

    Your statement "That is, it has to have the correct CRC _after_ _each_ _bit_
    has arrived." is incorrect for Ethernet. If the frame was not an integral
    number of bytes, then the excess bits (the ones that are not part of a
    complete byte) are not to be used in the CRC calculation. The IEEE 802.3
    spec (and the
    earlier DIX Ethernet spec) requires that the CRC checking algorithm only
    process whole bytes. Therefore, a good CRC algorithm for Ethernet would only
    process bits once a whole byte worth of bits had arrived.

    This really isn't relevant to the iSCSI reflector so I suggest we take this
    offline if you want to discuss it further.

    IEEE 802.3 is about 1500 pages in the 2000 edition so if I am making a point
    with respect to it, I think it is polite to provide a reference to where
    that information can be found so that people can read it for themselves.
    Certainly no offense was intended by making a specific citation.

    Regards,
    Pat Thaler