    Re: iSCSI v8 CRC32C

    Excerpt of message (sent 20 November 2001) by Luben Tuikov:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've been trying to get CRC32C working. I read a few papers,
    > derived the equations myself, etc, etc, but still cannot get
    > CRC32C to work...

    A good paper to read is the classic Ethernet spec (V1, not 802.3).  In
    particular, see appendix C.

    > My basic framework is: (not precomputing a table -- just force):
    >
    > poly= 1edc6f41;
    > crc = all 1's;
    > while more bits in message do
    > 	crc shift left, adding the next message bit at right;
    > 	if carry then
    > 		crc = crc XOR poly;
    That looks wrong; the Ethernet spec as I read it seems to say you need
    "if (carry xor messagebit)"
    > 	end if;
    > end while;
    > crc = NOT crc; (e.g. complement the register)

    Re your later note: if you get a 0 remainder, you're missing
    something.  Probably the fact that the initial all 1 value is
    mathematically equivalent to complementing the initial 32 bits of the
    message.

    	 paul

Last updated: Fri Nov 23 16:17:42 2001
7890 messages in chronological order