    Re: Comments: New iSCSI MIB draft

    Peter-

    Sorry for the delay.  Some answers below.

    --
    Mark

    Peter Mellquist wrote:

    > Mark,
    >
    > Everything looks well. I appreciate the UML diagrams.
    >
    > I have a general question in regard to the iscsiSessionAttributeTable.
    > - What is the life of a row in this table? Do they persist after the session
    > is gone?

    Session rows are not kept after a session is gone.

    > - Do rows come and go with each iSCSI session? I assume that this is so
    > since iscsiConnectionNumber must have a value from (1..65535).

    Yes.  We had discussed the lifespan of some of these objects (especially
    session), and while they could provide some value if we kept them after
    termination, we didn't see a compelling enough reason to have implementations
    do the extra work of maintaining them after they are gone.

    > I am considering session statistics (iscsiSessionStats ) in which a SNMP
    > manager would like to access stats after the session has been terminated.
    > With the current design, is it possible for this to work? Or... does this

    That was not the intent, although there's nothing that says an
    implementation can't keep them around for a while.  If we decided
    that we needed this functionality, it would be better to require
    it.  However, that gets us into the dilemma of how long to keep
    dead sessions before destroying them.

    > information exists only as long as a session is active. It would be nice to
    > have historical iSCSI stats in the same manner as the RMON MIB does through
    > the history group. Otherwise one would have to have an active SNMP manager
    > running all the time gathering session info. Consider a session in which a
    > number of errors occur to the point the session is terminated. How does an
    > SNMP manager determine what the actual errors were?

    The instance object contains counters for errors that cause session
    termination; it would not show you which sessions were terminated by
    which errors, but you would be able to see what types of errors are
    causing sessions to terminate.

    --
    Mark A. Bakke
    Cisco Systems