    From: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu [mailto:owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu]On Behalf Of
    Ofer Biran
    Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2001 4:27 AM
    To: saqibj@margallacomm.com
    Cc: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: RE: iSCSI: IPsec tunnel / transport mode decision

    Saqib,

    Mandatory transport mode would make bundling of external IPSec
    impossible, while tunnel mode is not more difficult to implement
    within the iSCSI endpoint than transport mode.

    "Cost of ownership and complexity of deploying a stand-alone
    IPsec gateway" might be among the considerations of vendors and
    customers, but I don't think the standard should block such
    solutions (and  it blocks more than just stand-alone IPsec
    gateway).

      Regards,
       Ofer

    Ofer Biran