    Re: portal group is a component of ___?

    Andre,

    The network portals are components of the network entity (these are
    possibly shared resources).  The portal groups are components of the iSCSI
    Node.  One portal group for one iSCSI Node may span an overlapping but
    non-equal set of network portals as another portal group for a different
    iSCSI Node within the same network entity.  In effect, the portal groups
    are possibly logical constructs within a node.  This is implied by the
    current language of the model because session coordination is a function of
    an iSCSI node and portal groups are collections of network portals over
    which the session coordinator can handle multi-connection sessions. BUT, I
    agree that your words:
       A Portal Group is a component of an iSCSI node that defines a set of
       Network Portals that collectively supports the capability of
       coordinating a session with connections spanning these portals.
    make this more clear.

    Julo?  Can you make this change (in the definition of Portal Groups in the
    model clause)?

    In your note attached, you respond to my first comment with "you mean
    portal groups, not targets".  No, I meant targets!  One named "bar" and one
    named "foobar".  They share the same network portal.  Each may have a
    different view of how they lay portal groups across the shared (or not
    shared) network portals.  But I think we have this straight now.

    In the previous thread, and concurred by John Hufferd, I've already made
    the claim that the draft is ambiguous about the TargetName use -- and have
    advocated clarification of the language.

    As for redrawing the picture... It is very difficult in ASCII to draw a
    picture that shows the complexity of possible ways of putting all these
    pieces together.  It's even difficult (as John will attest) to put them in
    a fancy graphics picture.   Also, the intent of the drawing is to
    encapsulate what ONE target sees.  Perhaps your change that the network
    portals are "attached to" but not "contained in" portal groups is better
    and more consistent with the first picture in the model clause.  I have no
    objection to this change either. (Julo?).

    Thanks for the contributions!

    Jim Hafner

                    Andre Asselin
                    11/02/2001 01:36 pm