    RE: is TargetName always mandatory or not?

    John,
         The wording you have below, I assume that is for the description of
    TargetName in Appendix D, right?  If so, since TargetName isn't required
    for a discovery session, could I suggest this wording instead?

            This key must be provided by the initiator of the TCP connection to
            the remote endpoint in the first login request if the initiator is
            not establishing a discovery session.

    Also, there are a few other places in the spec that need to be updated to
    be consistent with TargetName being required in the leading login of all
    normal sessions.

    The current version of the 6th paragraph in chapter 5 reads:

    The initial Login request of the first connection of a session (leading
    login) MUST include the InitiatorName key=value pair. The leading Login
    request MAY also include the SessionType key=value pair in which case if
    the SessionType is not "discovery" then the leading Login Request MUST
    also include the key=value pair TargetName.

    A suggested rewrite would be (building on the text suggested by Bob
    Russell):

    All initial Login requests MUST include the InitiatorName key=value pair.

    If the initial Login request is also a leading Login (TSID=0) and the
    new session is to be a discovery session, then the initial Login request
    MUST also include the SessionType=discovery key=value pair.

    If the initial Login request is a leading Login and the new session is to
    be a normal session,  then the initial Login request MUST also include
    the TargetName key=value pair and MAY also include the SessionType=normal
    key=value pair.

    All initial Login requests that are not also a leading Login (TSID != 0)
    MUST include the TargetName key=value pair.

    Also, this text appears in 2.2.7:

            The initiator MUST present both its iSCSI Initiator Name and the
            iSCSI Target Name to which it wishes to connect in the first login
            request of a new session.  The only exception is if a discovery
            session (see 2.4) is to be established; the iSCSI Initiator Name is
            still required, but the iSCSI Target Name may be ignored.  The key
            "SessionType=discovery" is sent by the initiator at login to
    indicate
            a discovery session.

    A suggested rewrite would be:

            The initiator must present its iSCSI Initiator Name in the first
    login
            request.  If the initiator is not establishing a discovery session
    (see 2.4), it
            also must present the iSCSI Target Name to which it wishes to
    connect in the first login request.
            The key "SessionType=discovery" is sent by the initiator at login
    to indicate
            a discovery session. See chapter 5 for a more detailed description
    of the login process.

    Rationale for making the MUST lowercase: I think specs should state the
    MUSTs, MAYs, and SHOULDs in only one place so that a requirement isn't
    stated multiple times in slightly different language.  If the powers that
    be disagree, then feel free to ignore my opinion...

    Andre Asselin
    IBM ServeRAID Software Development
    Research Triangle Park, NC

                        John
                        Hufferd/San          To:     Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
                        Jose/IBM@IBMUS       cc:     Jim Hafner/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS, ips@ece.cmu.edu
                        Sent by:             Subject:     RE: is TargetName always mandatory or not?
                        owner-ips@ece.
                        cmu.edu

                        11/02/2001
                        02:40 PM

    Julian,
    I agree with Jim Hafner on this issue.  The Draft should say:

    "The TargetName is required on the first login message on every connection
    (in all cases, new session or adding connections to existing sessions)."

    Also I think we need to change section 3.12.9, which currently says:

    "The TSID is the target assigned tag for a session with a specific named
    initiator that, together with the ISID uniquely identifies a session with
    that initiator".

    Should be changed to:

    "The TSID is the target assigned tag for a session with a specific named
    initiator that, together with the ISID uniquely identifies a session from
    that specific target to that specific initiator. That is, the TSID is a
    unique value within the scope of a specific Target (Not necessarily Unique
    within the iSCSI Target Network Entity)."

    .
    .
    .
    John L. Hufferd
    Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
    IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
    Main Office (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
    Home Office (408) 997-6136
    Internet address: hufferd@us.ibm.com

    Jim Hafner/Almaden/IBM@IBMUS@ece.cmu.edu on 11/02/2001 08:04:03 AM

    Sent by:  owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu