    RE: iSCSI: IPsec tunnel / transport mode decision

    Good Morning Bill,

    To me, a BITS implementation of IPSec does not require changes to the OS
    (with its built-in network stack) and is in fact useful when such changes
    are not feasible. In BITS, I assume IPSec is implemented as a shim between
    the network and data link layer. I thought, from reading the literature,
    that this was a conventional definition of BITS.

    If you are allowed to make changes to the network stack when adding IPSec
    functionality then, as I noted in my original memo, I consider transport
    mode to be feasible .

    If I understand you correctly then, what you really favor is a BITW
    implementation which I understand to be essentially an external crypto
    device. I would like to be able to use that too, but only provisionally, as
    a BITW implementation will eventually (as iSCSI matures) be considered too
    expensive and IPSec will have to be incorporated more tightly into the
    network stack.

    Vince