    RE: is TargetName always mandatory or not?

    Folks,

    I think this thread may be exposing either an ambiguity in the draft or
    perhaps a gap.

    I think it's possible to interpret the requirement that TargetName be
    supplied (for normal sessions) only on the *first login message on the
    first connection of a new session* and is not required on the *first login
    message of subsequent connections intended for the same session". My
    personal interpretation is that the TargetName is required on the *first
    login message on every connection (in all cases, new session or adding
    connections to existing sessions)*.  I also think Andre's example of a
    network entity containing many iSCSI targets with shared network portals
    (and the scoping of portal group tags and TSIDs by iSCSI target) points out
    the need for the more restrictive requirement (and the rest of my response
    to Andre assumed this).

    But I've heard other comments that can be interpreted as the less
    restrictive requirement is what is intended.

    So, I suggest (and I don't think this is asking much) that the requirement
    be that TargetName be supplied on the first Login message of every
    connection (not just the leading one).

    Jim Hafner

Last updated: Fri Nov 02 15:17:30 2001
7536 messages in chronological order