    Re: iSCSI - Change proposal Removing the X bit

    Julian:

    I vote for making the X bit reserved and leaving the I bit
    and direction bits unchanged and unshifted.  This will cause
    the least disruption to everything developed so far,
    in our case, a lot of our testing software.
    There seems to be no urgent need to "shift" the these other
    bits, and there may be some future use for the unused X bit.

    Thanks,
    Bob Russell

    On Fri, 26 Oct 2001, Julian Satran wrote:

    > Dear colleagues,
    >
    > We intend to publish very soon version 09 of the draft in its current
    > format (not many changes) and postpone the editorial changes (already under
    > way) for 10.
    >
    > One of the latest change proposal involves removing the X bit.
    >
    > The X bit has been used in several types of restart/replay but is somewhat
    > made redundant by the removal
    > of the command replay.
    >
    > This involves removing the X bit from request byte 0 and either making it
    > reserved or "shifting left" the rest of the general-use bits (I and the
    > direction bit).
    >
    > It also involves mandating a cleaning NOP.
    >
    > The cleaning NOP is needed in order to "flush out" old command PDU that can
    > be left over by simple sequences like the one in the following scenario:
    >
    > 2 connections
    >
    > On connection 1 I->T c1,c2,c3
    > On connection 2 I->T c4,c5,c6
    >
    > Targets receives everything and acts on commands but responses are sluggish
    > and initiators sees only an ack for
    > c1.  It then retransmits c2, and c3 while there answer are in flight back
    > after which the connection is almost dead and not used by initiator.
    >
    > After a complete wrap around, involving only connection 2,  the target
    > suddenly gets c2, c3 in a correct window and acts on them.
    >
    > The need to clean-up old PDUs is common to all protocols that use a
    > sequence that wraps and we suggested cleaning up using a NOP.  We will
    > mandate a cleaning NOP only on connections that had at least one "retry".
    >
    > It looks like we might e able also to abandon the task management -
    > reassign function and do it with a reissue (with the same NOP cleanout
    > implication) since retiring the replay function makes the reassign
    > unambiguous (reissuing a command, after logout, on a new connection -
    > implies reassign).
    >
    > Please comment - I need your input urgently.
    >
    > Julo

Last updated: Fri Oct 26 22:17:28 2001
7418 messages in chronological order