    trust security claims of incoming packets?

    Most vendors of IPSec components that I have talked to do not verify,
    against their local policy database, if an inbound packet has claimed and
    been afforded the security processing that the local policy specifies. Doing
    this verification may, of course, introduce a performance bottleneck in the
    processing of unsecured packets which would be undesireable, as most users
    would expect performance not to degrade unless secured packets are being
    processed.

    If a packet arrives demanding security processing (e.g. has an ESP header)
    then, after processing, the local policy is inspected to confirm that the
    appropriate processing was applied  but if the packet arrives unsecured  all
    security processing is bypassed, trusting instead that the packet was indeed
    meant to be insecure.

    This method of handling unsecured packets goes against my interpretation of
    the IPSec specs and seems to be a security hole.

    What point am I missing that will mitigate my concern?

    Thanks.

    Vicente Cavanna
    Agilent Technologies

Last updated: Wed Oct 24 18:17:30 2001