    RE: iSCSI: Login authentication SRP/CHAP

    What do you mean... I have a MUST implement 3DES, SHA1, MD5, and DES (from
    the IPsec requirements) all though IPS wants to put a SHOULD NOT implement
    DES requirement in...

    IPsec therefor mandates implementation of confidentiality.  It is up to the
    network administrator to determine what the security levels are, therefor
    you can say that ALL iSCSI links are administratively secure.  Just because
    a link isn't encrypted doesn't mean it isn't secure (I can have a link in a
    guarded and locked room surrounded by M-16 wielding Marines -- I defy you to
    snoop it)

    I disagree with your call saying that there is not rough concensus to use
    IPsec with iSCSI.  I believe David Black (correct me if I am wrong here
    David) has said the group has rough concensus to use IPsec as the security
    solution.  Now it might be that the rough concensus is there because it is a
    forced solution from the IESG, however in that case I propose you take that
    up with the Area Directors (and Jeff Schiller/Marcus Leech the security
    ADs).  You are right, I would prefer a TLS based solution, I think it is
    much more deployable... However this isn't the case so lets make IPsec
    work...

    I agree with you on user/protocol requirements.  I worked for a couple of
    years on an IPsec product and am rather underwhelmed with its deployability.
    Some of that was the tool that was developed, much of it was the problems
    with getting a interoperable security policy that would work between my old
    companies product and several competitors products.  The interesting thing
    is we were actually targetting end-end rather than tunneled VPN like most of
    the other vendors that I knew of...

    Some interesting things that I saw (and I am very afraid of in the iSCSI
    context were)
    1) Micro policies just don't seem to work/scale - i.e. having a SA per
    connection, rather than per link
    2) Bulk crypto to 100 Mbps is possible, but going beyond is expensive (2
    years old multiply by 2.25 for Moores Law)
    3) Asymetric Crypto Matters
    4) Its all about deployability - I have yet to see a cross
    platform/interoperable security policy product
    5) Encrypting traffic on subset of the corprate net has interesting
    results - Corperation IT departments (at least my former employers) tend to
    do a LOT of scanning, management traffic to your box...

    These are the negatives, the possitives are
    1) You can get it to work and work well
    2) With cheap crypto accelerators (ie built into your commodity NIC) it is
    cheap and fast without much CPU impact and can run above 80Mbs on a 100 Mbs
    network

    Bill