    Re: iSCSI - revised 2.2.4

    Excerpt of message (sent 5 October 2001) by Julian Satran:
    > For numerical and single literal negotiations, the responding party MUST
    > respond with the required key and the value it selects, based on the
    > selection rule specific to the key, becomes the negotiation result.
    > Selection of a value not admissible under the selection rules is
    > considered a protocol error and handled accordingly.
    >
    > For Boolean negotiations (keys taking the values yes or no), the
    > responding party MUST respond with the required key and the result of the
    > negotiation when the received value does not determine that result by
    > itself.  The last value transmitted becomes the negotiation result.  The
    > rules for selecting the value to respond with are expressed as Boolean
    > functions of the value received and the value that the responding party
    > would select in the absence of knowledge of the received value.
    >
    > Specifically, the two cases in which responses are OPTIONAL are:
    >
    > - The Boolean function is "AND" and the value "no" is received. The
    > outcome of the negotiation is "no".
    > - The Boolean function is "OR" and the value "yes" is received. The
    > outcome of the negotiation is "yes".

    > by the responder becomes the outcome of the negotiation.

    Julian,

    I'm agreeing with Santosh here -- there's extra complexity for the
    boolean case that just adds code without any benefit.  More code ==
    more bugs.  The rule should be the same for all cases -- responder
    sends back the result of the negotiation, always, no exceptions.

    That way, the half page of rules quoted above reduces to simply the
    following:

       The responding party MUST respond with the required key and the
       value it selects, based on the selection rule specific to the key,
       becomes the negotiation result.  Selection of a value not
       admissible under the selection rules is considered a protocol error
       and handled accordingly.

    No exception cases, no variations for different data types.

       paul

Last updated: Sun Oct 07 21:17:26 2001
7102 messages in chronological order