    RE: iscsi : DataPDULength can differ in each direction.

    Excerpt of message (sent 3 October 2001) by Robert Snively:
    > I would have thought that it was indicating the DataPDULength it
    > was capable of accepting, committing the other port to not
    > exceeding that value.

    Clearly that is what it has to be.  If a PDU length limit is per
    direction, the only interpretation that works is that you indicate the
    max length you're willing to have coming IN.  There is no reason to
    indicate the max you're willing to send -- all that is required is
    that you never send more than the limit indicated by the other side
    (but you may never send something as big as that limit, if your own
    transmitter has a limit smaller than that).

    So the notion of two numbers, one per direction, is fine, but the word
    "use" is ambiguous.  A clearer wording is "... specify in
    DataPDULength the maximum PDU length it is willing to receive".  Then
    the sender can send PDUs smaller than the DataPDULength requested by
    the destination, or the same, but not larger.  (This is how MTU works.)

        paul

Last updated: Thu Oct 04 16:17:29 2001
7044 messages in chronological order