    From: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu [mailto:owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu]On Behalf Of
    Santosh Rao
    Sent: Monday, October 01, 2001 12:42 PM
    To: IPS Reflector
    Subject: iscsi : originating & responding parties in login.

    Julian,

    I've YET another login question for you :

    Please refer the following text in Section 2.2.4 of the Rev 08 draft :

    "For numerical negotiations, the responding party MUST respond with the
    required key."

    When the initiator uses the default settings for a login key (i.e. does
    not send the key) and a target does not support that default, it has to
    originate the key in its login response to notify the initiator that it
    does not support the default.

    In the above example, who is the originating party & responding party ?
    Is the initiator always considered an originating party for all the
    operational and security keys, even if it did not explicitly send that
    key in its login ?

    If the target originated a login key, say DataPDULength, (and is
    therefore, to be considered as the originating party ?), based on your
    rule quoted above, the exchange would be :

    I -> T : (no key is sent for DataPDULength. Assumes default of 16 units.
    (8K).)

    T -> I : DataPDULength=8

    I -> T : DataPDULength=8  (See quoted rule above.)

    The definition of originating & responding party is not clear when
    defaults are used by the initiator and can lead to [mis-
    ?]interpretations  such as the above.

    The above response from I -> T seems redundant to me. I suggest that the
    draft clearly state who the originating & responding party are when
    defaults are used, so as to avoid confusion along the above lines.

    Thanks,
    Santosh

    --
    Santosh Rao