    Re: iSCSI: SNACK R2T/Data

    The ack effect could also be achieved using SCSI Command Retry (use
    the SCSI Command's expDataSN field)  The target stops sending
    Read PDUs if it runs out of buffers, and the initiator then
    times out and retries the command.   This is what a target
    would have to do in the absence of some data ack.

    I looked at the archived emails on this subject (when dataSN
    was called DataRN)  The Orlando minutes also have a brief reference.
    I suspect the atmosphere then was that the recovery scheme was
    still partly defined and this DataSN ack scheme was adding to
    the general sense of complexity (..so lets dispose it)

    I agree with Julian & Matthew that some form of data acks would
    add value for long transfers.  The acks will be cumulative and
    not per ReadData PDU (based on prenegotiated intervals or on
    a "send_ack" bit in the ReadData PDU set by the target)

    Btw, I see that the expDataSN field has disappeared from the
    SCSI Command PDU.   The Task Management Command also does not
    have anything related to expDataSN.  I may have missed an
    email on this ?

    -Sandeep

    Julian Satran wrote:

    > It does not have to involve a net  type but it must be a specific request
    > (like SNACK) as there might be no output
    > traffic at the time. The overhead involved is minor (as it can be done only
    > once per sequence and be cumulative).
    >
    > Julo
    >

    >                     Michael Schoberg
    >                     <michael_schober       To:     "'ips@ece.cmu.edu'" <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    >                     g@cnt.com>             cc:
    >                     Sent by:               Subject:     RE: iSCSI: SNACK R2T/Data
    >                     owner-ips@ece.cm
    >                     u.edu
    >

    >                     21-09-01 18:43
    >                     Please respond
    >                     to Michael
    >                     Schoberg
    >

    > I can see the point of not involving a new ACK request for [DATA] & [R2T].
    > However, it would be nice to have something like [CmdSN, ExpStatSN][StatSN,
    > ExpCmdSN] for [DATA] & [R2T].  As it stands now, only when the [SCSI
    > Response] is acknowledged for the request that originated the [R2T] &
    > [Data]
    > messages can you assume [R2T] & [Data] was successfully processed.  This
    > means you have hold onto a lot of associations in that updating ExpStatSN
    > will ACK more than just status messages.
    >
    > The nice thing about the [CmdSN, ExpStatSN][StatSN, ExpCmdSN] mechanism was
    > that it allowed for separate processing queues; status messages can be
    > unaware of the command that originated them.  This disassociation allowed
    > for a simpler implementation (aka hardware assist).
    >
    > One possibility would be to split the [CmdSN, ExpStatSN][StatSN, ExpCmdSN]
    > into 16 bit fields rather than 32.  Unless there's a genuine feeling that
    > more than 65K requests could be outstanding within session, I don't see a
    > problem.  The extra 32 bits freed up could be used for a Data/R2T_SN ACK
    > and
    > would allow a separate queue independent of [CmdSN, ExpStatSN][StatSN,
    > ExpCmdSN].  Since each queue doesn't have to maintain state knowledge of
    > the
    > other, it allows for simpler design.
    >
    > Just and idea.

Last updated: Fri Sep 21 19:17:14 2001