    FCIP: Sycnhronization

    It is very difficult to write meaningful black box synchronization tests for
    FCIP as currently defined. It also causes a window of confusion if there are
    protocol errors in the PDU. I would like to propose the following definition
    for synchronization, which I suspect was probably a starting point, in order
    to understand why we have the current multi-option set of tests :

    Test to be used to verify PDU synchronization within TCP stream:

    Synchronization is defined by a valid length field (as currently defined)
    that points to a valid EOF delimiter. The FCIP entity enters the loss of
    synchronization state either at the start of the PDU or at the end of the
    PDU.

    One issue here may be that this requires the FC entity to be able to
    transmit the frame on the Fibre Channel interface with a EOF indicating an
    error.

    Barry Reinhold
    Principal Architect
    Trebia Networks
    barry.reinhold@trebia.com
    603-868-5144/603-659-0885/978-929-0830 x138

Last updated: Thu Sep 20 14:17:17 2001
6633 messages in chronological order