    RE: iSCSI: Async events - SCSI and iSCSI

    Folks,

    I have not followed all that led up to this very carefully, but
    in the SCSI space, we have been reasonably careful to
    require that the initiator identify itself as capable of
    receiving an asynchronous event.  In the iSCSI realm, you
    can invent any kind of event structure you like, but it
    would not involve logical units (except perhaps to indicate
    that the configuration of logical units has changed and
    needs to be investigated), since logical units are not
    known to the iSCSI session.  In the SCSI realm, you have
    to have a SAM-2 compliant mechanism to determine that there is
    a process available to receive (or at least to reject
    the exchange of) an asynchronous message.  In the
    past, that has often been done by making the asynchronous message
    a standard SCSI command, with the initiator taking on the
    target role and in fact identifying itself as a willing
    recipient.

    I would expect the same separation to be required here.
    In particular, SCSI asynchronous events may need to be rejected,
    while iSCSI asynchronous events shall always be accepted.

    Bob