    RE: iSCSI:Target Centric ISID assignments

    Agree with the extra responsibility added on the target.

    But one point here ..the target may not be monolithic
    but one assumes it would atleast be "monogenic" (single-vendor)
    thereby enabling it to disallow multiple nexuses being
    started with the same <initiatorName,ISID>

    The monogenic property may not hold for initiators so
    a scheme which works without HBA cooperation is preferred
    over one which requires cooperation.

    The schemes presented by Jim in a previous email (a windows
    registry counter) still assume all HBAs follow that
    assignment model.

    The ISID namespace seems too small to partition among
    vendors.  If it were possible to add a vendor-unique
    identifier to the login command/phase (and maybe nexus),
    we may solve the problem without burdening the target.

    -Sandeep

    > Blowing away or not is again with us. A careless guy will set always the
    > blow-away bit.
    > You have just moved the management responsibility to the target under the
    > assumption that the target
    > is "monolithic". But, as you well know, this is not true for many targets.
    > You have to have an allocation scheme at
    > target and a garbage collection.
    >
    > I suggest we give this to the ND team and let them debate for a while
    > before getting back to us.
    > We may want to have them look at all aspects of SSID allocation and use.
    >
    > Julo

Last updated: Mon Sep 10 12:17:06 2001
6492 messages in chronological order