    From: Franco Travostino [mailto:travos@nortelnetworks.com]
    Sent: Friday, September 07, 2001 4:35 PM
    To: Robert Snively; 'Bill Strahm'; ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: RE: iFCP: security position

    At 06:57 PM 9/7/2001, Robert Snively wrote:

    If I understood their summary correctly, it was a SHOULD NOT
    implement DES.  That seems like an adequate warning without
    creating a double bind.  What I think it means is that a DES-only
    device will not be compliant.  Did I get that right?

    Yes. In addition to that ... I will note that the "WG chair exercised his
    prerogative to exclude DES from consideration" (from the interim meeting
    security minutes posted on Aug 30). Since this makes practical good sense in
    an iFCP environment as well, we will comply with whatever verbiage is
    appropriate and correct wrt to IPS and IPsec WG jurisdictions. As long as we
    don't see DES-encrypted storage traffic ever ...

    -franco

    Bob

    nts-v2.pdf
    Comments most welcome.

    Keying: IKE
    Pre-shared keys: MUST implement
    Signature key authentication: MAY implement
    Phase-1/Main Mode: MUST implement
    Phase-1/Aggressive Mode: MAY implement
    Phase-2/Quick Mode: MUST implement
    Phase-2/Quick Mode + KE payload: MUST implement
    Identities are IP addresses in all Phase-1/Phase-2 Modes

    Integrity MAC:
    HMAC-SHA1: MUST implement
    AES (X)CBC MAC: SHOULD implement*

    Encryption:
    3DES CBC: MUST implement
    AES CTR: SHOULD implement*
    DES: SHOULD NOT implement
    NULL: MUST implement

    Encapsulation Style:
    Tunnel Mode.

    (*) IFF there is a Proposed Standard RFC that we can cite by the time we hit
    Last Call. HMAC-SHA1 and 3DES CBC suit us fine otherwise (as justified in
    the slides).

    -franco
    iFCP Technical Coordinator

    Franco Travostino, Director Content Internetworking Lab
    Advanced Technology Investments
    Nortel Networks, Inc.
    600 Technology Park
    Billerica, MA 01821 USA