    Re: iSCSI: ISIDs

    David,

    Black_David@emc.com wrote:
    > This is primarily an issue for recovery of session-associated resources
    > like Persistent Reserves.  There's no free lunch here - it's necessary
    > to remember where these were put (which session) in order to get them
    > back.  It can also help to get old sessions removed from the Target
    > faster.  If the initiators remember TSIDs, this all works - is there
    > an important difference for implementations in remembering dynamically
    > assigned TSIDs vs. statically assigned ISID ranges?

    You have tackled every question except the one you have raised
    here and in a previous email :-)

    ..Is it a big difference for the initiator to remember a
    dynamically assigned ID ?

    Most hardware-based HBAs should have probed the network
    and discovered existing targets before the OS does its SCSI scan.
    In which case the HBA would have some persistent on-board memory
    as it cannot expect the OS to provide the ISIDs from
    some file or registry _before_ the SCSI scan.  Hence I dont see
    a problem with the hardware-based HBA remembering an ID.

    As regards software-based initiators, they would be expected
    to initialize only after the OS (partly) initializes in which
    case they would have access to some "file" which could contain
    the IDs.

    I may be wrong here..but this point deserves some discussion from
    the people with cross-OS expertise if we are to go with
    target-assigned IDs scheme.

    thanks
    -Sandeep

Last updated: Fri Sep 07 15:17:13 2001