    Re: iSCSI: login issue - partial consensus call

    John,

    I wasnt suggesting making ISIDs a hardware-configurable item.

    There are two ways to give out the Initiator Name and ISID to HBAs :
    (a) Modify OS stack - new midlayer to coordinate all HBAs
        Transparent to the user.
    (b) Custom vendor programs - which download config info
        into HBAs.   Needs admin intervention.

    Now, how do we modify all those machines/OS instances out there
    to make them work with the new iSCSI HBAs ?

    Its going to take time for Microsoft, Linux, Solaris, etc
    to make their OSes iSCSI-friendly with perhaps a new driver.
    Until then, vendors will be forced to use option (b).

    That is the point I was trying to make...how do we play
    with existing installations ?

    -Sandeep

    John Hufferd wrote:

    > I understand you point, however, the discussion we had on this, talked
    > about each HBA needing to have an install process that is OS specific.  It
    > was suppose to be an OS specific install or startup process that handed out
    > the ISIDs (or ISID ranges).
    >
    > I think your point is that you wish that there was no reason to interact
    > with the OS, in order to get installed.  I do not think that is a good
    > assumption.
    >
    > It is the OS that needs to let the HBA know what the iSCSI Initiator Node
    > Name is, so that the HBA can configure to use it.  It might as well hand
    > out the ISIDs at the same time.
    >
    > You are suggesting that making the ID of the iSCSI HBA only a HW item.
    > This is not where we came down previously.  You want to make your job of
    > interfacing with the OS, simpler, and put more burden on the administrator.
    > This was the mistake we made with FC and I would not like to see that
    > repeated here.  You say that there needs to be Jumpers or switches, well
    > this is up to your adapter.  We use to do that kind of stuff before the
    > Plug and Play started working with the OS.  We need to work with the OS in
    > a similar manor.
    >
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > John L. Hufferd
    > Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
    > IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
    > Main Office (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
    > Home Office (408) 997-6136
    > Internet address: hufferd@us.ibm.com
    >
    > Sandeep Joshi <sandeepj@research.bell-labs.com>@research.bell-labs.com on
    > 09/06/2001 11:44:00 AM
    >
    > Sent by:  sandeepj@research.bell-labs.com
    >
    > To:   John Hufferd/San Jose/IBM@IBMUS
    > cc:   ips@ece.cmu.edu
    > Subject:  Re: iSCSI: login issue - partial consensus call
    >
    > John,
    >
    > Is this what you are referring to ? (Sec 1.3 of Naming & Discovery)
    >
    > > b) The ISID name space of the iSCSI Initiator should be partitioned
    > >       among the intiator portal groups.
    >
    > How do you perceive this will be achieved in practice ?
    >
    > This can turn out to be an nightmare for HBA vendors.
    > IRQ settings, jumpers, or setup programs which run at boot
    > instantly come to mind.
    >
    > Ideally, ISIDs should work as SCAM works but that would involve
    > adding a mid-layer to OSes, to distribute that ISID name space.
    > Modifying OSes in the field is tough, as we all know.
    >
    > I realize the standard wont mandate such configuration items
    > but I'd rather we not add rules which would force such
    > configuration tweaks to become necessary.
    >
    > We should reconsider the above rule and its consequence on
    > the login issue Nick brought up.
    >
    > Regards,
    > -Sandeep
    >
    > John Hufferd wrote:
    > >
    > > By the way, the OS is also suppose to have a way to hand out (partition
    > up)
> [...]

Last updated: Fri Sep 07 10:17:15 2001
6411 messages in chronological order