    RE: iSCSI: login issue - partial consensus call

    I thought I had made my last statement on this :-)

      It is hard to imagine designing an HBA (made to operate in
      a multiple HBA environment) that does not provide the interface
      capability to avoid ISID conflicts - while being smart
      enough to figure out independently which ISID to use by polling
      the target. On the other hand, loosing track of ISIDs has to be
      an error situation or a system restart case.

      How many attempts is this HBA supposed to make before deciding
      that there are no ISIDs available?

    >        B) Should iSCSI mandate making this intended cleanup explicit
    >           by setting a bit (Say C-bit, for Clear) in the Login Command
    >           PDU to prevent an accidental session cleanup with a buggy
    >           initiator code?
    >
    > I have the following additional comments:
    > (1) A new bit is needed.  Reuse of the X-bit for this purpose has been
    > 	rejected by rough consensus of the WG.
    > (2) In order to deal with the worst case, every iSCSI implementation
    > 	MUST have an administrative interface that can prevent this new
    > 	"C-bit" from ever being set, even if the implementation thinks
    > 	that setting it is the right thing to do.  This provides a
    > 	way to deal with situations in which sessions are getting
    > 	stomped on by ISID problems.

       If there is a way to mandate a 'MUST' interface, then perhaps
       there is a way to mandate that every implementation must be able
       to accept a range of ISIDs from which to select the ISID. Also
       maybe we can mandate that they don't loose track of their ISID
       assignments :-)

    > (3) Some additional words about ISID usage are needed to encompass
    > 	scenarios in which ISID assignment is not present, does not
    > 	assign enough ISIDs, or fails for some reason.
    >
    > Comments are welcome.  Further objection to B) needs to explain
    > why Nick's scenarios should not be considered.  I was disappointed
    > to see a prior statement that the ISIDs would be different "by
    > definition" - this is in the same category as saying that software
    > and protocol implementations are bug-free "by definition".  Keep in
    > mind that Nick is correct in saying:

      I have to disagree with the statement above. Protocols should
      not be designed based on the working around implementation
      bugs. Otherwise this seems like something that would spin you
      around in circles.

    > > The problem is that iSCSI does not and will not specify how two HBAs
    > > from different vendors installed in the same Initiator should or could
    > > get a range of ISIDs for their exclusive use.  This will be operating
    > > system specific and vendor defined.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --David

    > David L. Black, Senior Technologist
    > EMC Corporation, 42 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
    > +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500
    > black_david@emc.com       Mobile: +1 (978) 394-7754

Last updated: Thu Sep 06 15:17:04 2001
6384 messages in chronological order