    Re: iSCSI: draft 7: remove S bit and Status field from the Data-i

    • To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    • Subject: Re: iSCSI: draft 7: remove S bit and Status field from the Data-i
    • From: Sandeep Joshi <sandeepj@research.bell-labs.com>
    • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 15:47:51 -0400
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    Julian,

    Wouldn't mechanical setup could go in parallel with network data
    reception anyways?  A target which has advertised a certain command
    window must also have reserved memory for the corresponding
    unsolicited bursts.

    So I guess I am still unconvinced..but can workaround if there
    aren't other supporters for the new ordering.

    Btw, this "mechanical setup" rationale as well as the LUN tags in
    NOP-in (stated purpose: can be used to route NOP-ins to LUNs)
    seem to assume some model of an iSCSI storage target (JBOD/RAID),
    which is  perhaps external to what's in SAM-2.
    Just guessing, not sure. If there is some model, do share it with
    us since it may help see the design rationales.

    Regards,
    -Sandeep