    RE: Security Gateways

    Bob,

    An RFC does not tell anyone what can or cannot be built;
    it specifies what is required for compliance with the RFC.
    If someone builds a protocol implementations that doesn't
    comply with the requirements of the RFC, they should not
    expect to be able to claim RFC compliance for devices
    based on that implementation.

    > The marketplace does demand that
    > security be possible and available for a device.

    The compliance requirement here is that "possible and
    available" be realizable without having to add anything
    to the device.  For the structure of interest here,
    an FCIP device plus a security gateway, the complete system
    [FCIP device, cable, security gateway] would comply with
    the FCIP RFC at its external interface (i.e., the external
    interface of the security gateway).  The interface between
    the FCIP device and the security gateway would be missing
    some required security functionality and hence would
    not comply with the RFC.  As a result, the FCIP device by
    itself would not comply with the RFC.

    > I can understand why the IESG would push back on this
    > question, but I would expect that they also believe that
    > an FCIP device without optional security implemented
    > is still an FCIP device and is compliant with the FCIP RFC.

    If "optional" means "MUST implement, but MAY use", that
    expectation would be incorrect.  "MUST implement" (cf.
    RFC 2119) is the level of requirement for authentication
    and cryptographic integrity that is necessary for FCIP
    to be approved as an RFC.  This isn't just "push back"
    from the IESG - it is a condition that the IESG required
    for its original approval of the IPS WG charter.

    > With an edge security device installed
    > in front of it, it is also a
    > secure FCIP device, just like the end-point of a
    > virtual private network is a secure device.

    That combination will comply with the RFC.  OTOH, the
    IESG will not permit the FCIP RFC to allow an FCIP device
    that lacks the basic security mechanisms to be compliant,
    and hence the FCIP device *without* the edge security
    device will not comply.

    > By definition, "man in the middle" attacks are impossible
    > for a security edge device, since the only place that the
    > "man in the middle" can be placed is in the encrypted path.

    "By definition" is not the best wording.  Assuming that the
    "security edge device" is an IPsec security gateway, the IKE
    and ISAKMP  protocols are to negotiate security functionality
    and parameters; those protocols are resistant to man-in-the-
    middle attacks, but that resistance is based on careful design.