    RE: Iscsi: Fault tolerance

    Sanjeev:

    What you are referring to (share this target) is conceptually the same
    as assigning access to a volume using CIFS, whereby the admin allows
    authenticated domain users to get to the file-system of the volume.
    Whether or not controlled by iSCSI, FC or ATA, the access to the clients
    is always dependant on the health of the host machine that has the iSCSI
    drive mapped (and allocated through some iSCSI fabric management).
    Windows NT (or 2000 for that matter) does not have a concept of sharing
    out block-level access of host attached (whether direct or through a
    fabric) drives for client use, that is all done from the file-system
    level and above.  What you may be proposing is the mapping (not sharing,
    but rather host based mapping) of an iSCSI target through a Windows
    iSCSI initiator, out to other iSCSI initiators, thereby making the
    original host a sort of iSCSI proxy, but the sharing of the disk to
    clients would then be the responsibility of the proxy holder.

    Hope that helps,
    Bob

    Robert Griswold
    Technologist