    Re: iSCSI Naming: iqn format specification

    Mark Bakke wrote:

    >    - Not everyone has or needs one for other purposes; might cause
    >      extra load on IANA-assigned name space, especially if end users,
    >      researchers, or university projects start applying for them.
    >      In the past year, IANA has assigned about 3,000 enterprise
    >      numbers.

    I'd suggest altering the syntax to allow for OIDs, not just
    IANA-assigned enterprise numbers.  Otherwise people with ISO-
    assigned numbers are going to end up holding multiple OID
    allocations, which begins to be administratively nightmareish.

    This also fixes the "load on IANA" problem.

    As a real example, OIDs are required for LDAP schema and each
    organisation can be expected to have a unique LDAP scehema (such
    as Example Corp having an examplePerson schema).  To reduce the
    load on allocation bodies, AARNet already sub-allocates OIDs to
    Australian universities out of its ISO allocated space for use
    in universities' private LDAP schema and any private SNMP MIBs.

    Because of the OID/LDAP linkage, I'd expect DNS registries to
    be the ultimate allocators of OIDs.

    >    ... Since a component of a
    >    DNS name cannot start with a digit, there is no risk of confusing
    >    the two.

    Not so, this requirement was removed some time ago.  Consider
    http://www.3com.com/.

    It would thus be better to list the namespace explicitly rather
    than make any assumptions about DNS names.  Especially as DNS
    naming is going to go through some major changes to allow for
    multilingual names.

    >  - Less transcribable - OUI normally expressed as six-digit hex
    >    number; schemes such as MAC address and EUI-64 are expressed
    >    as 12 to 16-digit numbers.

    OUIs have a OID form, so the OID form should should be either be required
    or forbidden to prevent confusion.

    It probably best to treat the OUI as a 12 or 16 hexdigit number.
    Using just the OUI is problematic for huge organisations, as they
    then need to track iSCSI namespace use internally.  Assigning
    a "MAC address" (OUI + 3 octets) to the iSCSI team is easy
    administratively.

    Finally, we should use the URI name and format for the namespace
    where a URI format exists.  This is simply for consistency.

    For example:
       backwardsdns:au.edu.example.faculty
       oid:1.32.43.5.3.2.43.2.2.34
       oui:2e319c65786e

    Regards,
    Glen

    --
     Glen Turner                                 Network Engineer
     (08) 8303 3936      Australian Academic and Research Network