    RE: iSCSI Security: Environment and Requirements

    CC'ing the list with an answer to an off-line question as I believe
    the answer is of general interest.

    > Is built-in IPsec support a requirement for iSCSI initiators and
    > targets or can initiators/targets rely on external IPsec gateways.
    > Also, what type of IPsec support (tunnel or transport mode,
    > AH/ESP) is envisioned?

    As of right now, external gateways can be used, BUT the result
    would be that only the interface on the secure side of the gateway
    would be considered compliant to the iSCSI spec (i.e., the interface
    between the iSCSI device and the gateway would NOT be compliant).

    I would offer the caution that some of the possible solutions to the
    rekeying situation may result in tighter binding between iSCSI and
    IPsec that would favor built-in IPsec support and/or require modifications
    to external gateways.  I believe the anticipated IPsec requirement
    is ESP in tunnel mode, but this is also subject to change (e.g.,
    will almost certainly be discussed further in London).

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500