    Re: profiles - a way to simplify iSCSI

    I have been traveling so I did not put my 2 cents in before now.
    First it is not yet understood what is actually needed and what is not
    important until things actually get built.  At that time the industry will
    begin to consolidate around  the really valuable "Optional to implement".
    Like was mentioned on this thread, it is the really  vocal minority that
    will yell until an option is included, and the silent majority will go
    about building what makes since for their customers.  Further, the silent
    majority will remain just that, silent and are not much help when we try to
    cut back on options.

    An example of this is all the people that complained about the SW
    implementations that had to add extra code and path length to support the
    Markers.  Now the important thing is that, all the real SW implementations
    that are currently being done are being given away for Free by the various
    Storage and Routers vendors, or as part of a free option from an OS.  I
    know of no one that plans on selling an iSCSI SW iSCSI implementation.
    Therefore, in the real world, the folks that were complaining, were not
    going to implement a SW iSCSI version, anyway.  They were just debating for
    effect.  And this has been causing some disarray in the HW iSCSI HBAs (Host
    Buss Adapters) arena.  There is probably no way to stop this, and if we
    attempt to do that, by defining profiles, in the IETF, it will just cause
    the debates to start all over again.  Many of us, I am sure, were glad to
    have moved on to other topics when a contentious item was made an option,
    since we knew we were not going to implement it, and doubted if in the real
    world anyone would.  Some of us felt that either the option would not be
    implemented by two or more vendors, or if it was, the market place would
    make it go away.  The IETF process will address the issue of less then two
    implementations, and one of the purposes of the SNIA IP Storage Forum and
    Technical Workgroup is to help define the marketing needs and the profiles
    that meet these needs.

    Now let me explain about the marketing needs and their related profiles.
    As an example there maybe an important market that addresses, iSCSI needs
    within a Business Secure Campus.  There maybe lots of vendors that have
    products that fit that market, but several vendors may have decided to have
    a low price point, and not include optional items that would be especially
    valuable in the Wide Area Market, but not needed in a Business Secure
    Campus (e.g. extra RAM).  This set of vendors might feel that they could
    meet their revenue goals by focusing only on Business Secure Campuses.
    Therefore, they might want to define a set of profiles that would permit
    them to meet their targeted market.

    I do think we need to clearly define the "Must implement" and that these
    must be the Minimum Profile.  However, it is not clear to me that we need
    to have profiles defined by the IETF.  If profiles are needed anywhere they
    should be produced as part of the SNIA IP Storage (iSCSI) Technical
    WorkGroup's response to what the SNIA IP Storage Forum Defines to be a
    targeted marketing need.  (Those, profiles can then be used in conformance
    test at UNH.)  I do not think that profiles should be part of the IETF
    work.

    I agree that we should not have more options than will be actually built,
    however, the IETF process probably limits this to a great extent.  Also, I
    would hate to see us get into the rancorous debates that will follow when
    we try to limit options, I do not think we added them wily nilly and that
    each one, at the time, seemed to be of value to some set of vocal people.
    So I suggest that we be very careful when we try to trim the Options, and
    then only those that we know do not make since to any potential profile.

    .
    .
    .
    John L. Hufferd
    Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
    IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
    (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
    Internet address: hufferd@us.ibm.com