    Re: profiles - a way to simplify iSCSI

    Julian,

    I am in favor of developing an iSCSI profile document along the lines of
    FC-PLDA and FC-FLA. This will go a long way in ensuring smoother
    interoperability. I had suggested over 4 months ago, that such a profile
    of features is useful for iSCSI and should be specified. (ex :
    http://ips.pdl.cs.cmu.edu/mail/msg03276.html).

    I'm not certain on what one gains by having 2 profiles. Basically, a
    profile should only state the requirement for each feature as one of :
    R - required
    P - Prohibited
    A - Allowed
    I - Invokable

    The mandatory (R) features of the profile constitute the minimal
    protocol conformance required. Implementation of the Allowed/Invokable
    (A, I) features constitues maximal conformance to the protocol.

    There should not be a need for 2 profile documents (?).

    Regards,
    Santosh

    julian_satran@il.ibm.com wrote:

    > Dear colleagues,
    >
    > iSCSI keeps getting richer in negotiable parameters/features.
    > Although flexibility is a great thing every new negotiable
    > parameter/feature get us all worrying about:
    >
    >    what it will break when used in combination with other
    >    parameters/features
    >    how are we going to test that all our combinations work as we think that
    >    they are specified
    >    are we understanding/specifying the combinations the same way as anybody
    >    else
    >
    > I assume that many of you are wondering, as I do, if all this flexibility
    > is really worth it's price.
    > Would the community not be better served by specifying profiles that are a
    > complete-and-invariable combination of features and very small set of
    > numerical parameters?
    >
    > I would start with 2 profiles:
    >
    >    the minimal profile (only basic features)
    >    the maximum profile (all the features)
    >
    > and then (only if we are strongly convinced it is needed) add a middle
    > point.
    >
    > Please comment,
    > Julo
    begin:vcard
    n:Rao;Santosh
    tel;work:408-447-3751
    x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    org:Hewlett Packard, Cupertino.;SISL
    adr:;;19420, Homestead Road, M\S 43LN,	;Cupertino.;CA.;95014.;USA.
    version:2.1
    email;internet:santoshr@cup.hp.com
    title:Software Design Engineer
    x-mozilla-cpt:;21088