    RE: Questions about FCIP

    Note that the purpose of this list is discussion of specification
    and standardization issues surrounding IP Storage protocols.  Some
    of Jon's questions should be discussed in some forum other than this
    list.

    > 1.  Where does the FCIP protocol spec stand at present?  Has it been moved
    up the food chain for ratification?
    > If not, is there any thinking on when this will happen?

    It's an Internet-Draft.  The IPS WG charter currently has a goal of
    September for completion.  This may change
    as the WG charter is revised over the summer.

    > 2.  Are there any reasons or situations in which FCIP might be considered
    preferable to iFCP?  What are
    > its strengths?

    We've already had one food fight on this topic on the list - let's not do
    that again.  Those with opinions
    or comments on this should send them directly to Jon - please DO NOT reply
    to or discuss this on the list.

    > 3.  How is FC SAN node addressing handled in a multi-"island" SAN
    interconnected by FCIP links?

    An FCIP link looks like an inter-switch link as far as Fibre Channel is
    concerned, so addressing works
    in the same fashion as if everything were Fibre Channel.

    > 4.  How are IP performance problems handled in FCIP?  Is radical
    reconstruction required each time an
    > IP network-related interruption occurs?

    FCIP runs over TCP.  If all the TCP connections for a link close, the
    inter-switch link is down and FC takes
    whatever action is appropriate.  How radical that would be depends on the
    topology at the FC level.

    > 5.  Where will the heavy lifting of FCIP (the encapsulation of the data
    for transmission through the tunnel) be
    > implemented?  On the FC switch blade? on an IP switch or router blade?  On
    some third party device?  Are
    > their different implementations?  Any benefits or drawbacks of each?

    This one is at best borderline for discussion on this list, especially if
    it turns into a "beauty contest" over who has the best implementation
    approach/architecture.  Please send any replies/comments directly to Jon
    and DO NOT reply or discuss this on the list.

    +1 (508) 435-1000 x75140     FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500