    RE: iSCSI: Wrapping up SendTargets

    Mark,

    > For adding discovery functionality beyond basic reporting
    > of available targets and addresses, I have seen 5
    > (again, including myself) in favor of using SLP for
    > future discovery, one in favor of using iSNS for future
    > discovery, two in favor of either SLP or iSNS, and
    > three with no comment.
    >
    > I realize that this doesn't constitute calling consensus,
    > and I'm not the person to do it, but I wanted to point out
    > where most people who have responded seem to be headed,
    > so that others who wish to be heard are motivated to
    > comment.

    Am I missing something here?  I had thought the previous
    discussions on this thread were regarding use of Sendtargets,
    not a referendum on SLP or iSNS.

    I am still waiting for a technical response to my previous
    messages over the last two months regarding iSNS and SLP.
    SLP lacks essential capabilities that iSNS provides, and
    no one has been able to explain how they will provide them
    with SLP or any other protocol.  How can you possibly say
    we are headed in the direction of SLP when its technical
    issues as far as addressing storage discovery issues have
    not been resolved?

    > I see a mild consensus toward SLP as a good direction for
    > moving forward with discovery beyond simple target reporting.
    > The SLP folks themselves intended for hosts to be able to
    > behave in the Unicast manner we are trying, and are interested
    > in updating the SLP API to handle this.  However, I think that
    > it would be best to use SendTargets for now, while we both
    > make sure that the right SLP API is developed, and that we
    > can solve the problem of authentication schemes.

    Before you or anyone calls consensus, I would like to see
    how SLP can solve the following issues:

    1)  Management of Discovery Domains.  You don't want
    incompatible file systems discovering each other, or
    very bad things will happen.  Say 'goodbye' to the Unix
    file system who's host is discovered by SLP....

    2)  Transfer of X.509 digital certificates.  SLP cannot
    easily transfer binary entities.  This affects the iSCSI
    target device's ability to enforce its access control list.

    3)  Monitoring of available devices.  SLP relies upon
    service agents re-registering periodically, in order to keep
    the freshness of its database entries.  But this leads to a
    dilemma: if SA's re-register too often, the DA will be
    overwhelmed.  And if they register not often enough, then
    you will have stale device entries.  The fact is, SLP was
    not designed to be a real-time discovery protocol. But in
    storage networks, real-time information is crucial, as even
    slightly out-of-date information can lead to unnecessary
    logins and other events that will seriously degrade the
    performance of the storage network.

    4)  State Change Notifications.  This is important to
    support failover and redundancy capabilities, and to
    ensure that initiators can persistently maintain their
    sessions with targets in the event of network topology
    changes.

    >   Now    - Keep SendTargets, document it in the iSCSI spec, and
    >            declare its limitation to just what is needed to
    >            connect to a target (name, address, aggregation).
    >
    >            Define ReportPortalGroups functionality as a subset
    >            of SendTargets.

    I understand you'll be out of contact for the next 1.5 weeks,
    and so you must be in a rush, but I must ask that you give us a
    at least a few days or so to digest the 10+ messages on this
    subject. I personally have been in-and-out of the office for the
    past couple days and haven't been able to respond till now.

    Once again, I support John's proposal to move Sendtargets to
    the annex.  I don't think Sendtargets should be in the main
    document.

    Furthermore, it would be helpful if you clarify whether your
    statements are representing the iSCSI NDT or only of your
    personal views.  I do not believe your statements regarding
    the SLP approach for iSCSI are consistent with what was
    agreed to in the NDT.  I believe the consensus was that both
    iSNS and SLP are to be considered for discovery.

    >   Future - Pursue SLP as the "standard discovery", allowing for
    >            other solutions such as iSNS as appropriate.

    As an NDT member, I cannot support a decision on making any
    protocol the "standard" without fully addressing the above
    technical issues. The devil is in the details, and only after
    exploring such issues will we be able to avoid future pitfalls
    that may threaten the timely adoption of iSCSI.

    Josh