    From: Joshua Tseng [mailto:jtseng@NishanSystems.com]
    Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2001 6:10 PM
    To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: iSCSI: IP fragmentation

    		Folks,

    		IP fragmentation is an issue which will affect the
    performance, logic and
    		HBA/NIC memory requirements of iSCSI implementations. Note
    that
    		fragmentation by intermediary switches and routers is not
    permitted
    		in IPv6 (hence, the DO NOT FRAGMENT bit does not exist in
    IPv6).
    		With this in mind, and in the interest of optimizing iSCSI
    performance,
    		I was wondering if it would make sense to require that the
    		DO NOT FRAGMENT bit to be set on IPv4 packets carrying iSCSI
    and
    		that iSCSI implementations not perform IP fragmentation for
    IPv6.
    		This will allow for performance optimization if
    implementations do not
    		have to check for fragmentation and handle reassembly.

    		Any thoughts?

    		Josh