    RE: Unsolicited Data.

    Matthew,

    among the two options you gave I would like to comment on the second

    It is possible for initiator **not** to send any unsolicited data and send
    the rest of data as solicited data by the use of bit 7 in Flags and Task
    Attributes. This is posted here http://ips.pdl.cs.cmu.edu/mail/msg04647.html

    The new 2.3.1 is:

    2.3.1     Flags and Task Attributes

          The flags for a SCSI Command are:

          b7   (F) set to 1 when the immediate data that accompany the command
          are all the unsolicited data associated with this command. For a
          write, if Expected Data Transfer Length is larger than the Length the
          target may solicit additional data through R2T.

    About the option no. 1 Stephen has already explained. Refer to the very
    specific paragraph below of his email

    In a hardware accelerate implementation, unsolicited data will be
    handled differently than solicited data.  The target can chose where
    the solicited data is delivered, but unsolicited data arrives through
    a general-delivery path.  Therefore, if the offered unsolicited data
    burst size approaches the regular burst size, an implementation will
    need TWICE as much buffer memory (half in the general-delivery area
    and half in the flow-controlled buffer area) to support the same
    operation load.  Maybe this tradeoff is OK, but given the cost
    sensitivity of storage targets, I doubt it.

    I would like to comment one thing here that in the current iSCSI specs
    implementation the complete data for a specific command Including (Cmd PDUS
    , Data PDUs and Response PDUs) follow the same path. So the whole of data
    will follow the general delivery path (same connection) whether solicited or
    unsolicited. Is it still going to help if Unsolicited data is not chosen to
    be sent while IntialR2t=No has been negotiated???? Or do I have
    misunderstanding with a general delivery path here.

    Regards,
    Sanjeev